St. Philip the Deacon, in partnership with Portland Community Reinvestment Initiatives (PCRI), Urban League of Portland, Northwest Pilot Project, and the Leaven Community Land and Housing Coalition, is welcoming our elders home. We are stewarding the resources God has given us to build affordable housing for Black seniors, and to renovate our building to ensure that we can continue to live out the heart of this parish: to create and support stable community for vulnerable neighbors.
We are actively applying for funding from various governmental agencies to build affordable housing, and private organizations for renovating our building and sanctuary space. If you would like to contribute, an online fundraising page is being developed.
What is The Alcena?
The Alcena – An Affordable Living Community is a sister building with the proposed Kafoury Court. Together, these two buildings will provide approximately 140 units of affordable housing for Black seniors. The Alcena will be located on the property of and adjacent to St. Philip the Deacon. Kafoury Court will be about a mile to the North just off of Grand Ave. Building these projects together as a ‘scattered site’ development saves on development and construction costs, and aligns with the shared missions of both St. Philip the Deacon and PCRI: to support the displaced and vulnerable members of the Albina/Eliot neighborhoods.
Updates are listed by project below.
Updates on building Affordable Housing for our Elders
- Affordable Housing Update: October 2023
- Housing Project Update: September 2023
- Housing Project Update: July 2023
- A Weekend with author Kevin Nye, May 6-7
- Advocacy Training Opportunities
- The Alcena: Congregational Input Update
- Land & Housing Coalition Mass Assembly
- Your Input Needed: What are our housing priorities?
- Housing Update: A Potential New Path
- ACTION: Support Joint Office of Homeless Services Budget
- The Alcena has been awarded funding!
- January Housing Update: P-BOS, 130 NE Knott, and Kafoury Court Funding
- Housing Update: Deeper Subsidy for Deeper Affordability
- Welcoming Our Elders Home
- St. Philip, Sacred Organizing, and Engaging our Neighbors
- A Tale of Two Conversations
- June Affordable Housing Update
- Housing Update: Board of Trustees June 2021
- Housing Update: Council will deliver Upzone!
- Call to Action: Upzone Vote
Updates on building St. Philip as a cornerstone in our community.