St. Philip is hiring a parish administrator! Here is a PDF of the description below.
Application Deadline: Apr 4, 2021
Title: Parish Administrator
Hours: 18 hrs/wk. Expected in-office hours 2-3 days week, Tuesday-Friday.
Reports to: Parish Rector
Please email the following to the email in the linked PDF above.
- Resume highlighting experience.
- Sample of marketing material or presentation you have created (power point, a brochure, a writing sample, website you update).
- A letter describing your experience and answering the following question: What makes for a good or pleasant office work day?
Overview of Position
St. Philip the Deacon is a small, historically black Episcopalian parish located in NE Portland. This position has responsibility for all administrative tasks of the parish office and requires flexibility, a willingness to learn, an aptitude for administrative and technical tasks, and a flare of creativity. It really helps to like people!
Duties and Responsibilities
General Office Management
- Opens and closes church during office hours.
- Operates and maintains office supplies and equipment; ensure regular backups of all computer-based information.
- Maintains online membership directory (Breeze), publish annual parish directory, and update parish registers.
- Serve as open and welcoming primary contact for anyone who contacts the church. Receives, responds to and distributes mail, messages, email, and walk-ins.
- Work with the Rector to manage parish-wide communications including newsletters, bulletin boards, email, and social media.
- Prepares bulletins for Sunday and other services as necessary, in coordination with the Rector and the Music Director.
- Coordinates communication with the Episcopal Diocese of Oregon, ensuring the Diocese is up to date, and requested diocesan reports and communications are turned in in a timely manner.
Scheduling and Coordination
- Maintain and coordinate the parish calendars and facility usage. Schedules church facilities and coordinate facilities access with Sexton, Junior Warden, and parishioners.
- Coordinates Lector, Eucharistic Minister and Usher schedule; sends reminder of service days and times.
- Assist in coordinating volunteers in concert with ministry and committee leaders.
- Maintain proper financial records, regularly enters and records transactions (Quickbooks/Breeze CHMS), pays invoices (including requests for reimbursement by staff or parishioners).
- Submit parish payroll according to diocesan schedule through Paylocity, and serve as staff liaison for the Treasurer as needed.
- Prepare and distribute half-yearly and yearly contribution letters.
- Schedules appointments for the Rector as requested.
- Meets regularly with the Rector.
- Maintains strict confidentiality and professional conduct at all times.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Experience working in a professional office setting.
- Clear and effective written and oral communication skills.
- Working knowledge of and experience using computer technology, including Google Docs, Google Slides, Quickbooks Online and online database software (Breeze CHMS).
- An eye for detail and aesthetically pleasing online and print presentations.
- Experience with online banking reconciliation in coordination with the bookkeeper.
- Ability to efficiently use social media (WordPress, Facebook, Instagram).
- Experience coordinating volunteers.
- Ability to multitask, set priorities, and coordinate often competing deadlines.
- Ability to work independently and as the member of a team.
- Must be able to pass the Diocese background check and complete Diocese safe church training.
- Must have high school diploma or GED and a minimum of two years office experience.
- Professional or personal experience living and/or working within the African-American community.
- Experience with or willingness to learn the rhythms and patterns of a religious organization.