Stop! Pay attention! Listen! Watch!
Something incredible is about to happen.
Advent is upon us. That season of waiting, watching, listening, traveling with the prophets towards the Coming One. The liturgical colors have changed from green and white to blue, a color of calm expectation. The mood of our music shifts, our liturgy creates space for silence, for listening.
Advent reminds us that we are on a journey, a journey towards the peace, justice, and mercy of God.
Advent at St. Philip began with a different kind of sermon, a story from the Godly Play practice, usually told only to children. But Godly Play is not only for children. Listening, wondering, working, and feasting are as important for adults as they are for children.
We listened together, we feasted on the Eucharist, we wondered about our shared journey, and we went out to the world to work alongside God.
Listen (again) to the story:
After giving thanks in song, prayer, and God’s food, we spent time going deeper, wondering together about our journey. In groups of two we shared where we want to go on our journey. The answers varied: a deeper and more authentic spiritual life; a journey with young people, carefully listening to their anger and frustration; listening to our neighbors; understanding this place and way of being that God has called us to now, even as we age; doing what God has called us to do in the time we have left.
As varied as these answers are, they reflect an awareness that going deeper into God is about responding to God’s work and play in our lives and the world around us now. A deep and authentic spiritual life is rooted in responding with God and God’s prophets to this place, to this time, to this neighborhood, in this body (and bodies).
Come, join us, as we continue to hear the stories of God told to children and elders alike. Wonder with us. Journey with us.
Advent and Christmas Schedule
- The First Sunday of Advent with Godly Play Sermon, November 28th, 10am.
- The Second Sunday of Advent with Godly Play Sermon, December 5th, 10am.
- The Third Sunday of Advent with Godly Play Sermon, December 12th, 10am.
- The Fourth Sunday of Advent, December 19th, 10 am.
- Christmas Eve, December 24th. Eucharist w/ Godly Play Service, 7pm. (Tentative) Carol Sing at 6:30pm.
- Christmas Day, December 25th, 10am.
- First Sunday after Christmas, December 26th, 10am.
- Second Sunday after Christmas, January 2nd, 10am.