Join us for Tuesday evening bible study. We will meet on Zoom at 7pm for an hour and fifteen(ish) minutes of focused reflection and conversation on scripture. For June-November we will be focusing on the Gospel of Mark:
- Schedule of Readings from Mark
- Manuscript of the Gospel of Mark (broken up to match schedule of readings)
About our Mark Study
- This draft follows the breakout of “Say to this Mountain” Mark’s Story of Discipleship which is a much more readable version of Ched Myers commentary Binding the Strong Man.
- I strongly recommend having a good study Bible. I use the New Oxford Annotated NRSV with Apocrypha. This will, at the least, help with some of the Hebrew Scripture references.
- Note the addition of a “how to use this text” paragraph. I recommend BibleHub if you want to compare translations. Don’t get too hung up on translation, but be aware that all translators have an opinion/interpretation, and it affects their work!
- Using commentaries and a variety of sources is acceptable. There are many online commentaries available. Please be aware they are online because they are out of copyright. This means they are older. Older is not worse, but it often incorporates out of date information. Try to be aware of the perspective from which the commentary is written. Commentaries by publishers such as Oxford or Cambridge are going to be very different than Matthew Henry or Wycliffe or Darby. There is no unbiased commentary, no matter what it says. There is no such thing as a literal reading of the bible.
- Anyone is welcome to join this study. Since it is contiguous and our skills will build over time, it helps that people try to attend regularly (but this is not required). This is a study of the text, and requires engagement with the text itself, so prep work is strongly suggested.
- You can see photos of the progression of Rev. Maria’s marked up text to the Mark Study Photo Gallery. Feel free look at it, but don’t use it for “right” answers or to limit your own work!
Tuesday Bible Study and Vespers ZOOM Link
Meeting ID: 814 5321 2094
- +1 971 247 1195 US (Portland)
- +1 206 337 9723 US (Seattle)
- +1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)