Join us for Tuesday evening bible study. We will meet on Zoom at 7pm for an hour and fifteen(ish) minutes of reflection and conversation on scripture. We will be focusing on the the first eleven chapters of Genesis.
Schedule of readings and manuscript will be forthcoming (check back for links).:
- Genesis 1-11 Manuscript: We will be using Robert Alter’s translation of The Torah.
- Genesis 1-11 Links & Notes: Articles, recommended commentaries, general notes, will be added to this document as we proceed through the study.
- Compline: The Night Prayer (from the NZ Prayer Book)
About our Genesis Study
- I strongly recommend having a good study Bible. I use the New Oxford Annotated NRSV with Apocrypha. This will, at the least, help with some of the Hebrew Scripture references.
- Note the addition of a “how to use this text” paragraph. I recommend BibleHub if you want to compare translations. Don’t get too hung up on translation, but be aware that all translators have an opinion/interpretation, and it affects their work!
- Using commentaries and a variety of sources is acceptable. There are many online commentaries available. Please be aware they are online because they are out of copyright. This means they are older. Older is not worse, but it often incorporates out of date information. Try to be aware of the perspective from which the commentary is written. Commentaries by publishers such as Oxford or Cambridge are going to be very different than Matthew Henry or Wycliffe or Darby. There is no unbiased commentary, no matter what it says. There is no such thing as a literal reading of the bible.
- Anyone is welcome to join this study. Since it is contiguous and our skills will build over time, it helps that people try to attend regularly (but this is not required). This is a study of the text, and requires engagement with the text itself, so prep work is strongly suggested.
Tuesday Bible Study and Compline ZOOM Link
Meeting ID: 814 5321 2094
- +1 971 247 1195 US (Portland)
- +1 206 337 9723 US (Seattle)
- +1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)